Another Accident–A Case Study

(Images below, after the text and its French translation)

I call an accident in my creation process when two unrelated things seem to fit well together. To promote accidents (which I consider by best pieces) the place where I live is a total mess: everything is every where in a secret hope that I will notice the next accident and get inspiration from it.

Some time ago I started a series called “Disposition” where I would place random pieces of paper or objects together and see if they could fit—by accident. Most of the time it did. But left to themselves they did not talk much. A (substantial) bit of Photoshop helped. Of the 200 plus experiments in this series, 80 were good enough to be displayed on this blog. This series will resume some time this year.

Yesterday night I went early to bed and played a bit with Autodesk’s Sketchbook on my MS Surface tablet-laptop hybrid thing. Although I can’t draw (except fatty cats) I like to play with the pressure sensitive pen and discover shapes and lines I can’t achieve using a regular graphic tablet and Photoshop on my big powerful computer (strangely named “La Machine à fabriquer les Facebook Kitties” [The Facebook Kitties Maker], that’s a long story I might tell one day). On the same exercise file, I scribbled approximative flowers on a few layers, saving them for future use this week.

This morning, I just revealed all the layers in Photoshop, and there it was—the accident that I completed with an indistinct figure. It needed a backdrop to situate it in some context. A heavily modified photograph of paramedics taking care of a person in dire need did the trick. A bright green filtering layer would break the dark atmosphere of the whole.

The finished image, to me, represents a homeless person in a sitting position. That person doesn’t have a face because we generally do not want them to be people, but just a statistical problem.

Below are some of the layers displayed separately and the final image.

* * *

Accident – Étude

Dans mon processus de création, un accident se produit lorsque deux choses qui n’ont rien en commun se côtoient et donnent un résultat heureux. Afin de provoquer de tels accidents (que je considère comme mes meilleures réalisations) mon appartement est constamment en désordre : tout est partout avec l’espoir secret que je découvrirai de tels accidents et qu’ils sauront m’inspirer.

J’ai démarré il y a quelque temps une série que j’ai appelée « Dispositions » où des bouts de papiers et autres objets étaient placés ensemble de manière aléatoire pour voir s’ils provoqueraient des accidents. Ça fonctionnait la plupart du temps quoique laissés à eux-mêmes ils manquaient de vitalité. Un peu (beaucoup même) de Photoshop les rendait plus évocateurs. Quatre-vingts pièces extraites d’un ensemble d’un peu plus de 200 expériences se sont retrouvées sur mon blogue. Cette série sera augmentée quelque part cette année.

Hier soir je me suis installé tôt au lit avec ma tablette MS Surface pour jouer avec Sketchbook d’Autodesk. Quoique je ne suis capable de dessiner convenablement que des chats grassouillets, j’aime bien jouer avec les effets que permet le stylet, question de découvrir des formes, des mouvements que je ne peux obtenir avec une tablette graphique régulière comme celle branchée sur mon ordi plus puissant que j’ai nommé « La Machine à fabriquer les Facebook Kitties » (une histoire à raconter un autre jour peut-être). Dans le même fichier Sketchbook j’ai empilé les couches et sur chacune d’elles j’ai tracé des fleurs approximatives ; l’ensemble sauvegardé pour retouches plus tard en semaine.

Ce matin j’ai ouvert le fichier de gribouillis dans Photoshop et soudainement apparaît un accident. J’ai complété le tout en esquissant un personnage. Il fallait aussi un arrière-plan, question de le mettre en contexte, lui permettre de raconter une histoire. Une scène d’ambulanciers portant secours à un blessé, exagérément modifiée, fit l’affaire. Un éclairage vert brillant permit de briser le caractère sombre de l’ensemble.

Dans l’image complétée je vois une personne sans-abri (SDF) dans une position assise et sans visage puisqu’on préfère généralement traiter ce problème social sous forme de statistique nous permettant ainsi d’éviter le contexte humain.

Ci-dessous, quelques-unes des couches prises isolément ainsi que le résultat final.

One thought on “Another Accident–A Case Study

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s